Friday 18 November 2011

Giving the researcher a voice: a conference presentation

Earlier this week, I presented a paper at York St John University's 6th Annual Research Methodologies Conference.  Please click the following link to view my Powerpoint slides and read a version of my verbal presentation .... http://www.box.com/s/ilj434q3a951eqo1oe86

The presentation is essentially about how the way in which I am carrying out my PhD research has progressed. As I have gotten more and more involved in my research, I have increasingly recognised that research does not always have to be positivist or objective.  Especially within the Social Sciences, where people are the subject of the research, objectivity is not so possible.  Also, because my research topic is one with which I have intimate connections, I have found it increasingly impossible to keep myself at the objective distance required of positivist research paradigms.

I discovered that my own history, knowledge, and experience (personal and professional) were yielding invaluable sources of data, and I want to find a way to incorporate all of this into my research ... hence the 'reflexivity' and 'autoethnography' which this presentation discusses.

Currently in my 4th year of a part-time PhD at York St John University, my research is entitled ... "Every body has a voice: the impact on the counsellor's embodied subjectivity when working with clients presenting with eating disorder symptomatology"

No comments:

Post a Comment