Saturday 24 December 2011

The Most Magical Night of the Year


For me, even now, Christmas Eve is still the most magical night of the year. As an adult, I am still able to capture and experience the feelings I had as a child on Christmas Eve … and, I love, every year, tapping into those life-long feelings … feelings I hope I can hold onto for always.  I can still re-experience that sense of awe, bewilderment, anticipation and joy at the idea of, and belief in, Santa Claus.  I can still feel what it felt like to truly believe and to imagine Santa, his sleigh and his reindeer flying through the night air, landing on roof tops … and again, I intend to never let go of those old feelings I can still feel …

Every year, I truly believe that magic can happen.  I always spend time on Christmas Eve looking back over the year that has gone by, remembering and being grateful for the achievements and good times, remembering and being grateful for the growth and learnings that have come from the not so good times.  And then, looking forward with excitement and anticipation to the year ahead … tapping into the magic of childhood and years gone by, and ‘believing’ (hoping?) that some of that magic just might make its way into the year ahead.

Christmas Eve in my childhood involved a walk up to the local church with my parents for the Children’s Nativity Service at tea time.  I still remember being in the church, holding my candle, watching the nativity scene grow as members of the congregation added the various people to the manger scene as the service, readings and carols, took us through the story of the nativity.  I loved the feeling in the church; of connection, of reverence, of magic, and of excitement.  And it was in the church, that for me, I’d start thinking about Santa Claus coming later that evening once I was fast asleep in bed.

After the service, we’d walk back home and my Mam would cook a joint of ham for Christmas tea time.  My Dad would go out with his friends … and I’d wait up for him coming home so we could both have sandwiches of hot, freshly cooked ham, with the butter melting on the bread from the heat of the ham!  Before this, I’d have helped my Mam put chocolates (usually Quality Street!), nuts, dates, Turkish Delight and Liquorice Allsorts out on the coffee table around the Christmas tree … and, I’d have ‘sampled’ the treats we were putting out. 

I also remember sitting in our living room, with the ceiling light out and just sitting in the glow of the coloured fairy-lights on the Christmas tree.  I used to love the coloured glow reflecting on the walls, and just sitting / lying on the sofa under that same coloured glow … it was a really special time of the year for me.
 
I’d also leave a glass of milk, a tot of whisky and a mince pie out for Santa Claus … with a carrot left for Rudolph.  I’d also leave a note for Santa … which, the next morning, had always been answered!!

And then, I’d love going to bed … lying there, going to sleep, believing that Santa Claus would come through the night and leave presents for me.  Even once I was old enough to stop believing, I was still able to remember, and re-experience those feelings …  feelings I’m feeling now,  and feelings I know I’ll experience as I lie in bed this evening.

And I love, that I can still remember, re-experience that magic, that sense of anticipation and belief.  I love feeling those old feelings, each and every year …

And the feeling of waking up on Christmas morning, knowing that Santa Claus had been!  And the excitement of going into the dining room to see toys from Santa …  and then into the living room to find wrapped presents under the tree from other people.  I loved … and still love remembering and re-experiencing … the excitement, anticipation of Christmas morning!
  
And I know, that even when I wake tomorrow morning and I become aware that it’s Christmas morning, I’ll re-experience those feelings from childhood of excitement and anticipation and of awe that Santa will have been.  I LOVE Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning for the magical feelings they still instil in me …

I feel really lucky and privileged that I can still feel those wonderful childhood magical feelings ... hope you can all feel them too, x

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! I am the same as you are. I live in the US in the midwest. Staying up late, wrapping presents on Christmas Eve while watching my favorite Christmas movies. I never want the night to end. It's hard calling it a night and going to bed as to get a couple hours of sleep before the kids wake up to unwrap their presents and priceless to watch the magic in their eyes as they do. Christmas Eve hands down is the most magical night of the year. I wish it would last forever. There is no other night like it and nothing else that gives you that same warm, magical feeling. Also, my mother and daughter were both born on Christmas Eve! I still believe as well and am doing my best to make Christmas as magical for my kids as it is for me, so they can do the same for their children in the future. It goes by so fast and ends so abruptly. I always feel depressed when it's over. I always hope that heaven is like Christmas Eve and it depresses me even more to think of dying and not being able to enjoy family and Christmas Eve and all the wonderful things that go with it anymore. Thanks for posting your story. I can appreciate anybody that enjoys and feels the magic of Christmas and especially Christmas Eve the way I do. I also love that there are others out there that can still re-live the magic of Christmas Eve as a child and the feeling of believing Santa and his reindeer making their way through the cold and snowy Christmas Eve night to land on your roof and bring you presents. I will never let that feeling go, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Bob ... it's good to hear someone else still experiences their childhood Christmas feelings. And I LOVE the idea of Heaven being like Christmas Eve ... wow!!

    ReplyDelete