Tuesday 19 April 2011

Embodying Change

Embodying Change is the name of my new website … it’s not yet up and running, although it is in its early stages of development. And this is my new logo …

This feels like such an exciting time for me. I’ve been involved with counselling and personal development for 12 years now, so it’s taken up a large chunk of my life, but it feels like only now that it’s all finally coming together in a unique way for me.

My PhD has led me down avenues I didn’t anticipate or expect, and not only has it informed my academic practice, it’s also had a hugely positive impact on both my therapeutic practice and my own understandings of my Self. I’ve also met some hugely influential people over the last few months, who, in various ways, have fed into these exciting new developments in my therapeutic work and myself.

I’ve become increasingly aware of the embodied nature of human beings. We all inhabit a body, and our bodies are how we present our-Selves to the world. Our bodies are also how we experience the world around us through our five senses, and also how, & where, we experience our internal feelings and sense of our Selves.

Both my therapeutic practice and my personal understanding of how people develop, change and grow, is becoming increasingly focused on the embodied experiencing of Self.

As therapists, we present ourselves to our clients through our physical bodies and they present themselves to us in, and through their bodies. My experience and research are increasingly highlighting the need to pay more attention to the bodies in the therapy room and to what, and how, those bodies are communicating to each other. In the world of talking therapy, it’s easy to focus on making sense of words and to forget about our bodies, and embodied sense of being.

For an individual to feel secure within themselves, I believe it’s vital that they feel comfortable within their own body; that they are able to allow feelings to emerge within their body and pay attention to those feelings. Our bodies have so much to tell us … if only we knew how to listen to them, and work with them.

My new website will have a focus on the embodied experience of everyone …
clients, therapists and individuals in general, and how that embodied sensing of self can lead to more effective therapeutic connection, personal understanding and change.

I look forward with such enthusiasm and excitement as to where the coming months take me and Embodying Change … this is only the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment