Saturday 23 April 2011

The importance of pets


I’ve been thinking today about how important pets can be for us. Earlier today I learned that a friend of mine had to have their dog put to sleep yesterday, and it’s reminded me of a time eighteen months ago when I had to take my cat, Scrumpy, to the vets and have her put to sleep …

It was one of the saddest things I’ve ever had to do. I was determined I was going to be the one to take her, and it was also important for me to make sure that I was in her line of vision as she died; I wanted to be the last thing she saw. As the vet and nurse held her and injected her, I crouched down next to the table and just looked into her eyes. Having those final seconds of eye contact just between the two of us ensured the rest of the world around me disappeared and I got to say my final goodbye to the little animal that had been there for me, and with me, for thirteen years. Seeing the light, and life, disappear from her eyes was so sad, so final.

For anyone who’s loved, and shared their life with an animal, their death can be heartbreaking. People often belittle the importance of pets and the significance of their death. It’s important to allow ourselves to grieve over our animals in the same way we would a person we loved. We do get attached to our animals and they do become like friends or part of our families, and consequently, it is okay to be sad, to hurt when they die. It is okay to miss them and mourn for them.

For people living on their own, pets can be vital company. Just to know there’s someone (in the shape of a furry little friend) depending on you, waiting for you to come home, can be hugely comforting. Just having another living creature in a house, can make that house feel more lived in. A house which has had a pet living in it, can suddenly feel very empty and cold when they’re no longer there.

It amazes me just what deep connections we can form with animals, if we spend the time nurturing them. In my experience of living with two gorgeous cats, first Scrumpy, and now Elsie, the relationship has definitely been a two way thing … I’m happy to provide all the food, comfort and safety they need (and probably a little bit more!), and in exchange, I’ve had the pleasure of their unconditional love. The pleasure of watching the antics which cats get up to, the pleasure of having a cat snuggle up with me on the sofa or in bed, the privilege of knowing that a little furry animal trusts me …

My life has definitely been enriched by the cats I’ve shared (and am still sharing) it with …


No comments:

Post a Comment