Tuesday 8 March 2011

Journeying Through My Mind


Sitting still, yet moving;
Moving, yet sitting still.
Travelling from A to B, yet going nowhere;
Going nowhere, yet travelling from A to B.
Journeying through the countryside;
Journeying through my mind.

Travelling, or the act of moving seems to inspire me and fire up my creative inspiration. Sitting on a train earlier today, travelling from Newcastle to Glasgow, I was amazed at just how freely my mind was initiating new ideas. The movement of a train, or an aeroplane, seems to somehow allow me to journey freely within my own mind and make amazing discoveries.

I left the train this morning with a long list of ideas for blog entries and other things I want to explore. I remember a similar thing happening last year on a plane flying to Spain, when I stepped off board with pages full of ideas. On a couple of long flights to Denver, I remember time just flying by as I filled it with thoughts, ideas and inspiration for my PhD. And this evening, coming home, I’ve made some incredible discoveries and understandings about myself on my journey through ongoing self-awareness.

When I’m in that frame of mind I’m always disappointed when my journey ends … when I have to step outside and leave my bubble of creativity behind. I’m left wondering what ideas and thoughts am I leaving behind on that plane, on that train?

But … from a different perspective, stepping off that train or plane is just the first step on my journey of putting my thoughts and ideas into action … & that’s when the real fun can begin...

** Photo taken at Newcastle Central Station, 7.10am 08.03.11

2 comments:

  1. ....your pebble's ripples have inspired some ideas here now:

    The 'left luggage' of ideas on the seat, and discovering conversations with strangers never to be seen again ... i love that ephemeral purity that allows delicately idealistic concepts to take form, no agenda or need, just spontaneous.

    Actually, i think sometimes then i swap 'luggage' with whoever is open enough to share in this, as we take gifts of each other away.

    In some ways, i wonder if its akin to the 'special' space of a counselling session, where the power of those moments seems disproportionate to time, and so precious.

    Another thought is noticing how a flash of a face seen out of the train window, speeding by, can burn deeper than years of familiarity. To know nothing of them, and just follow the faintest senses, to speculate what might be their world .... bubble.

    Give me movement, see the low sun race through trees, dialects flavouring the sense of change, opening up discovery of a new 'me' in that fresh place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Philo, and I'm pleased to have inspired you.

    That 'flash of a face' was something I experienced on my train journey yesterday ... & possibly something for a future blog entry!

    And I love your allusion to the counselling space in relation to travelling

    ReplyDelete