Sunday 6 March 2011

Playing in the Playground of My Mind

Appreciating where I am now,
Me, myself and I,
Playing in the playground of my mind.


The poem I posted earlier today has inspired the title of this blog … it feels like they’re both very much interlinked.

Over the last week or so, I’ve been very aware of the power of my unconscious. I’m realising how much of my learning and processing occurs at a level of which I’m not fully aware; a sense of ‘playing in the playground of my mind.’

After a training course last weekend around EFT and ‘tapping’ to release the emotions from memories and other events, I dreamt of myself engaging in a number of rounds of EFT. Three times through that night, I woke up, aware that I’d been ‘tapping’ in my sleep … I had no recollection of the memory or emotion I’d been ‘tapping’ on, but in my waking state, I knew I’d been working through something. Whether I’d been working on anything in particular, or whether I’d simply been processing my learning, I’ll possibly never know … but waking up three times tells me my unconscious was most definitely working through something; and definitely for my benefit.

The night before last I woke up through the night, again, ‘knowing’ that I’d been practising in my sleep, the NLP techniques I’ve been learning recently. Again, I had no recollection of exactly what I’d been doing, but I just ‘knew’ that I’d been practising and processing my recent learnings.

And then last night, I woke up at 4am with an ‘urge’ to write a poem (the poem in my previous blog). The words flowed easily and freely, beginning with the idea of playing in my playground in the sky. Originally, I wanted the poem to end with the title of this blog … ‘playing in the playground of my mind,’ but as I wrote it, that line no longer fit. And this blog entry feels like its resolution. I’ve not written any poetry or song lyrics for many, many years and so writing in that way felt like a reconnection to long lost parts of myself. And because the words flowed so readily and were available upon waking, I’m sure my unconscious had already started the process of composition as I slept.

And in the words of that poem was a very clear statement as to how I’m feeling right now … at a turning point in my life, both personally and professionally. No more head playing in the clouds, distanced, disconnected and disengaged, but a sense of integration, connection and groundedness in me, myself and my learnings.

Maybe it’s time we all learned to trust in the power of our unconscious and to set ourselves free to play in the playground of our minds….

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's fascinating to hear that your unconscious mind is busy working in such a formal way for you during the night.

    I read once that you know you have mastered a foreign language when you dream in it. Sounds like you're well on the way.

    Just as an aside I love the title 'Playing in the playground of my mind' I think that is a perfect disposition to take to that kind of work. I imagine a lot of people have it as set up as 'Worrying in the minefield of my mind' - much less happy or helpful.

    All the best,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comments Andy. I've always had a very active unconscious mind ... & when I trust it, it always comes good for me!

    ReplyDelete