Monday 31 August 2009

Changes along Life's Journey

Isn't it interesting to see where life takes you? I'm at a place now where I feel content, satisfied and excited about where my life now seems to be heading. It's a different place to where I imagined I would be a few years ago, but it most definitely feels like the right place for me to be right now. And from where I stand, I can see the way ahead fairly clearly; at least in the short to medium term, & I like how the road ahead of me looks. I also feel that I've got the right companions by my side to guide, support, encourage, share and appreciate my life with me.

It feels like I was somehow destined to end up at this point; life is finally coming together for me, the pieces of the jigsaw are now fitting together. It's been quite a twisty, mountainous road at times with a few storms along the way. It's also been a very lonely road for many miles. For the last 13 years though I've been privileged to have the company of the best little furry friend in the world. Scrumpy has been my constant companion and confidante, but now as the end of her life approaches, it feels like I'm getting ready to step out into the next part of my life. Scrumpy and I are about to part company; she's taken me as far as she can, but I think she'll hang around a little bit longer yet until she knows I'm safe, in good hands and heading in the right direction.

Who knows what life has in store for me next though. The last 3 months have been such an emotional time, with huge highs and deep, unexpected lows. But I'm still here; as are the people who have been through those highs and lows with me. And we're stronger as a result and know that no matter what life throws at us, we'll survive. Life has many lessons to teach us, and as long as we learn those lessons I don't think we can go far wrong. It's when we choose to ignore the lessons and not take the risks involved in making changes that we become stagnant and defensive and life becomes difficult. Or when we choose not to assimilate the changes that happen around us; to people, places and experiences. Because change, that of both ourselves and others, can be scary, but it's also what allows us to grow & experience life to its fullest.

Our lessons come in so many different guises and our journeys too. Some of us literally travel the world, growing as we collect the miles and absorb the experiences of other cultures. Some people travel those same miles though and don't learn anything; they just gather the pictures. Others of us choose to stay close to home but travel countless miles within our own experience, and yet others who don't leave home often just sit, stagnate and let life pass by outside their window.

For me, the most exciting thing about life is the unknown, the what happens next, the constant changes in direction, the ongoing growth and exploration. Life is a journey to be enjoyed . . . . .




2 comments:

  1. I feel very privelidged to be with you on your journey, and very lucky to have you with me on mine x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard this today, "Life is a journey, not a destination".
    How true, so why do we say "I'll get there in the end" ?!?!

    ReplyDelete